Established in May, 2010, Lifeplan Institute Hawaiʻi Island (LIHI) has a mission to provide 5,000 island teens with a Lifeplan by 2015. At the core of the program is the My Lifeplan Journey, a series of discovery-based learning sessions designed by Dr. Andy Mecca and team from California Mentor Foundation. In small groups, youth increase self awareness, refine dreams and goals, create a plan and select mentors to guide them toward their vision of the future.In the first 18 months, LIHI:
- Trained over 120 certified facilitators.
- Helped over 500 teens create Lifeplans.
- Established Lifeplan programs at 4 middle and high schools in West Hawaiʻi.
- Assisted several community and church organizations in launching Lifeplan mentoring programs.
- Held two Youth Summits for teens island-wide to enhance skills and build friendships.
- Launched Lifeplan Youth Leaders group.
- Featured as a case study in Dr. Mecca’s 2011 book, A Plan for Life.